Wednesday, September 8, 2010

WHY am I sick!?

Being sick in London is NOT fun. I'm used to getting a ton of sleep and relaxing, so my body bugged out because I've been sleeping less and running around the city and drinking all the time (not binge drinking, don't worry family!). So, today I woke up and my throat yelled at me. I decided I wasn't going to let it dictate my day, so I went sightseeing and did a ton of touristy stuff with Genna.

Parliament and Big Ben

I have to say, London is a pretty city. It's not the prettiest I've ever been to, but some of the buildings are amazing. I was staring at Big Ben and Parliament thinking to myself, "Am I really in London!? How is this happening, how did I get here?" It hasn't fully sunk in yet. I mean, it has, but I haven't had the culture shock yet and because we're in such a nice neighborhood with no distinct signs of the London I think of in the movies, it's hard to see it from a tourist standpoint.

After going to see Parliament, Big Ben, and Buckingham Palace I realized how my view of London will be different than the tourists. Taking pictures in front of the different landmarks isn't being in London. By going to the pubs and meeting the Brits and talking to different sorts of people living in the city, that's how I want to get to know London, and that's how I want to get to know all of the other cities I'll be traveling to.


Me being a tourist in front of the London Eye, on the London Bridge.

Buckingham Palace: It's got really ornate gates, but honestly, I didn't think it was anything special. I still don't really get the whole "royalty" thing. Like, cool, an old lady has blood that dates back to all the special kings and whatnot but she's just a figurehead. Lame. (Sorry if I'm pissing anyone off). I mean Prince William and Prince Harry are some hot stuff, but what do they really do? At least The Situation has earned his fame (just kidding).


Flowers in St. James' Park

I have officially booked my first ticket for traveling and it's to visit the love of my life, Silvana, in Glasgow. I'll be going next week from Wednesday to Sunday and I am BEYOND excited. I've been learning about Scotland in my British Life and Culture class so it'll be interesting to see the differences and to hear the accent! 

My goal, you ask? To be called a bonnie lass.

Hopefully I won't be hacking up a lung when I go.

Love,
Miriam

Phrase of the Day: "I'm Getting Pissed!" - Actually means "I'm getting drunk!"

p.s. You can comment on my posts. I love hearing from everyone!