Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Glasgow- Pronounced GLAZ-GO!

I'M IN SCOTLAND.

Here are the tips you need while traveling to Gatwick and using EasyJet:

You need to get to the Victoria tube stop. Then, you need to get a train ticket to Gatwick. There is an express train but because I was in a rush I didn't know that I wasn't getting on it, so I took a regular train that stopped in the middle of England for funzies. It sucked and I was scared shitless that I wasn't going to make my flight.

Second - Easy Jet does not allow you to have a carry on AND a purse. You can only take one. They charge 18 pounds extra to check it. Luckily, I added a carry on by accident when I was buying my ticket to Glasgow so I was all good. NEXT, EasyJet does not tell you what gate you have to go to until 30 minutes before your plane takes off. It SUCKS. So you have to stand there, staring at the screen and then run to your gate. I was first in line so I got an awesome seat on the plane because they don't assign you seats.

I discovered on the flight that English people not from London are really nice and so are Scottish people. Anyway, I landed and Silvana was waiting for me at the airport and it was really cute and romantic. We hugged a lot. She then showed me her university which LITERALLY is Hogwarts. I was going around pointing out places that looked like they were in the movie

"Oh, there's the tower where Dumbledore fell out of and died."
"Oh! This is where Ron tried to make Malfoy 'eat slugs!' but it backfired"
"This is where Harry was told about Quittich from Oliver Wood"
Okay.. I'm going to stop now.

So basically, her university is the prettiest thing I have EVER seen. I am still astounded how nice everyone is and the accent is SO MUCH BETTER than the English accent. I fell in love with every person I talked to... okay just the hot guys that we met on the street because I'm super friendly :) We ended up going to Tesco here which is basically 7-11 but classier and sells more food and I got the drink "IRN-BRU" which is literally the most sugar you can put in a drink before it becomes a honey-like consistency. It tastes like bubble gum and is really weird but you keep drinking it anyway.

Alright, I have to run- Silvana is cooking dinner in her flat for me and some people and we are going to hit the town!

OH! And I've decided that I will be staying in Glaz-go for Christmas with Silvana, so I definitely won't be in the States until January. I'm REALLY excited.

Love,
Miriam

p.s. I won't have pictures until I'm back in London on Sunday so these posts are going to just be text. Hope you don't mind!