Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Drinking with Teachers and House Annoyances.

Yesterday my international trade class went on a pretty cool field trip to the Greenwich Observatory and stood on 0' Longitude. We saw Canary Warf and the new business district of London which is mostly American architecture and made me feel like I was in New York City which was a nice change. THEN, our teacher decided to bring us to the Trifalgar Tavern right on the Thames river where many a famous person had a drink and plotted the next move of the British Empire.



Where are all of MY pictures you ask? Well, I forgot my camera. So google has supplemented them.

I had a good day though, and drinking with my good ol' mate Frank (they don't like us to call them professor, or even Mr. ___. It's interesting...). AND I successfully stole my pint glass with a Heineken logo on it! GO ME!




Speaking of academia, I got my internship placement.

Drumroll please...


Dear Miriam,
I am pleased to inform you that the FIE Internship Team have provisionally placed you in an international internship with HCA Healthcare. HCA Healthcare is a top American owned UK based healthcare company who owns and operates around 200 hospitals in Britain.




I will be doing accounting for their company, YAY! Do I sound sarcastic? Why yes, I do. I know it's bad to bitch and moan about my placement because FIE researches very hard on our behalf, but my dream was to work in the financial district of London. I wanted a taste of finance in one of the finance capitals of the world, especially because I've already had two accounting internships and have a job with an accounting firm when I graduate. You never know how anything will turn out though, so I'm expecting for the worst and hoping for the best.

Now for the house DRAMA:
All of the girls of the house have pitched in and bought cleaning supplies for the kitchen without so much as asking for money from the rest of the house. Monica graciously bought a Brita filter that cost a pretty penny along with dishwashing tablets, I bought dish soap, Cierra and Ruth and Genna have all bought sponges, paper towels and napkins. Why? Because we all know that eventually everyone is going to have to pay. However, one roommate bought a box of dish tablets for 2 pounds and wrote a note in the kitchen asking each of us for 18 pents (a little over 20 cents). Imagine asking 11 people each for a quarter. It doesn't make sense. Had this been the layout of buying stuff for everyone, it wouldn't have been a problem but now it's just rude.

Our retaliation? Both myself and Matt each bought a 40 tablet and 30 tablet box of dishwashing supplies. And I didn't ask for anyone's money.

Tonight should be a fun night. We all want to go out. We are all in London. It should be a good time. Hopefully I will take some pictures!

<3
Miriam