Thursday, September 16, 2010

5 Minute Net Gain.

The Scottish way of thinking:
"A cigarette takes off 5 minutes of your life, but it takes 10 minutes to smoke it so you have a 5 minute net gain." - Chuckie from Viper
Also, "you can drink while your pregnant, but you just can't get drunk." - Silvana's planner.

After I updated my blog yesterday, Silvana cooked a delicious meal of pasta and red sauce. We drank a bottle of wine between three people- me, silvana, and her flatmate Caitlin. After, we went this HUGE bar called "The Loft" where we got a pint of Magners, the alcoholic cider, and then took shots of whiskey because, hello, we're in Scotland. I met a bunch of Silly's friends and they were all really friendly and FUN. We ended up getting split up because they wanted to go to the student union for "Fresher's Week" (basically welcome week for freshman) so Silvana and I decided to go to a club nearby called Viper that she had gone to and had an awesome time. It was only 10:30 so we went to the pub across the street to drink more, and then headed over.

Here are a few notes about Scottish people:
1) The girls dress like huge skanks. They wear really short skirts with black stockings and wear ridiculous amounts of make up and tease their hair.
2) Everyone loves the color purple. It's weird.
3) The guys are way too nice. They are friendly and aren't creepers and text you later in the night to make sure you've made it home okay and then text you when they wake up to see what you're doing. And they aren't in it for sex, they are talking to you because they genuinely want to be friends with you. WEIRD.
4) Scottish people do not dance. They are epic white man overbite syndrome. They just bob their heads and have no idea how to move their hips and are amazed when you shake your ass. It's hysterical.
5) Because they don't know how to dance, they don't know how to creep either. There are literally no creepers anywhere to be found in the clubs. It is the most fun I have ever had because I haven't needed to worry about some weird guy coming up behind me and grabbing my hips.
6) Everyone drinks ALL of the time.

So at Viper, we proceeded to drink way too much alcohol and dance like crazy and have a TON of fun. I've never been so happy. Then to top it off, we met guys who were from Northern Ireland and were absolutely hysterical. Chuckie was the guy we met outside and he told us his really intelligent theory on smoking cigarettes. When we were back inside we ended up seeing him again and before we knew it, he had taken the water we had in our hands and thrown it on the floor and then had lined up 9 jack and cokes, 3 for me, 3 for silvana, and 3 for him. He wanted us to chug them. How do you say no to someone asking you to chug 3 free drinks? You don't.

As we left the bar to go to the dance floor he shook hands with this guy that was one of his friends. I looked closer and realized it was one of the guys we had met on the street a few hours before and we had been frustrated for not getting his number and making new friends. But there he was! Small world.

As you can imagine, I had a very slow start this morning. And I'm still going slow. I promise to not drink that much again while I'm here. I need to see the sights.

And I might try haggis.

Maybe.

<3 Miriam