Monday, September 13, 2010

London Laundry = Hell.

I am currently sitting in the basement of the main flat for Manson Place contemplating punching myself in the face. There are two washers and two dryers for 100 people. I don't think I've ever hated doing laundry as much as I will for the next FOUR MONTHS.

Good news is, while I'm here I can update you on the FANTABLULOUS weekend I have had. Saturday I slept in again and woke up feeling much better and ready to take on London. Only problem was, the entire flat had been going out and partying so no one was down to go out and about, except for grocery shopping. I got really excited because I found a DVD for 5 pounds, but was told after I bought it that the DVDs here are not like the DVDs in the states and I had wasted my money. I have to now go back and return it.

Saturday night we went to a club called "Tiger, Tiger." It was jam packed and unfortunately the club didn't know how to properly air condition the two floors so it was basically a massive AU frat party with British people. I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life, but for a while it was quite fun. We took a double decker bus home and we sat on the upper level which was another unique experience. I mean, it wasn't THAT amazing. We were just higher up than usual.

Pure. Sweat.


Sunday was definitely SUNDAY FUNDAY! I got up, got dressed, and skipped my way to St. Regent's Park to meet my love, James Randle, who is a friend I met way back in the fall of Freshman year. While on the tube, my headphones broke, and I was close to these two Irish guys who were making fun of the tube and all the silent snobby english people. I started laughing.

Anyway, I met James in the park, which has got to be one of the prettiest places in London. It is the biggest park and there are fountains and gardens and trees lining the main path called the "Broadwalk." We didn't spend much time there, except for lunch at the Honest Sausage, which was where I had my second English meal of sausage and mash. It was pretty good!



We then went to Camden Market, which is officially my favorite place in the city. It is the best tourist trap, ever. It used to be stables for horses and factories and now it's these mini shopping stores with fun jewlery and clothing and furniture. We stopped at this Lebanese restuarant/cafe and got the BEST MINT TEA! It was literally hot water and like 5 pounds of mint stuffed in. I bought a book from a used book shop - Gulliver's Travels. I've never read it and now I am DYING to, just because I got it in a used book store, in London.

James and Myself and the amazing MINT TEA!


Afterwards, I kissed James goodbye and hopped on the tube down to the Tower Bridge to meet up with the rest of my flat for a festival on the Thames river and fireworks for later that night. After walking 1586 miles (exactly 1586 miles.) I made it, and everyone greeted me with smiles, mostly because they had already had something to drink. We walked around, MORE, and looked at what the vendors were selling and then proceeded to drink more, and eat more, and just hang out staring at the Tower Bridge and the dirty Thames river.



THEN, we walked for another 30 miles to the Blackfriar Bridge to see the fireworks. I had to pee SO BAD and the bar next to the bridge had 30 women waiting for a bathroom while the men were waiting 30 seconds. Cierra and I had the brilliant idea of just using the men's room. It was really embarrassing, but totally worth it. The fireworks were fun, but the ride home wasn't because we had to switch over 3 lines.

Today my marketing class went to HARRODS! It's the British version of Saks 5th Avenue, but so much better. They were selling yorkshire terrier puppies for 1,400 pounds. SO WORTH IT... not. It was really cool to see so much expensive stuff that I could never afford, in one massive building. Then International Trade, and now I'm sitting in the pit of hell waiting for my clothes to be dry.

... UPDATE...

I finished my laundry, but didn't finish my post. Joe and Matt cooked us an amazing dinner and it was tons of fun. THANKS GUYS<3

Family Dinner

Most Importantly... I GET TO GO TO SCOTLAND TO VISIT SILVANA ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a fun fact of the day or a phrase, I'm too tired and this post is really longgg.

<3
Miriam