Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Top O' The Mornin' To Ya!

I leave for Ireland, TOMORROW. That's right people. I'm going to be exploring castles and tip toeing on cliffs and jammin out with some Irish people at a pub and drinking Guiness and listening to that GORGEOUS accent for 4 days.





Ireland is one of those places that you just have to go to in your lifetime (so I've heard). And, um, HELLO, "P.S. I Love You" anyone!? After that scene where they first meet each other on that hill, I knew that I had to go. I'll be going with Silvana, which I'm totally pumped for.

Traveling is one of my passions, and experiencing all of these new cultures and places with your best friend is incredible. PLUS another one of my loves, Kristin, is currently studying there. That will be cool too because I MISS HER and she can show us all of the exciting pubs and things to do in Dublin.


If you are interested in knowing more about the tour I'm doing, here's the link:
Shamrocker 3 Day Southern Rocker


Kristin and Me at Unity


Dublin!

P.S. I Love You


Other than Ireland, I've been noticing fun little cultural differences between London and home.

Phrases:
Fit - means very pretty
Buff - another way of saying someone is good looking, and has nothing to do with muscles
Loaded - drunk
Taking a Piss - making fun of someone
Getting Pissed - drunk
Git - asshole
Wanker - idiot
Cheers - I don't know, it's like the movies and they say it ALL of the time
Chav - their version of white trash

Habits:

1) No one goes outside in sweats. If you go outside in sweats, it means you're a chav because they are known to wear sweatsuits and hang out on the streets. Trust me, I've seen it. It's not just sweats, it's the Jockey sweatsuits and they wear it all in one color, like blue or grey. 

2) People are more concerned with your class in society. Your accent can tell a person whether your family is from a high or low class. It has less to do with money, and more to do with education and your placement in the world.

3) Cars in the road really do not care about pedestrian safety at all. I'm from New York, I know assholes in cars, but they take it to a whole new level. If you're in the street when the light turns green you better start running or you're going to get honked at and maybe a dirty look.

4) Girls are always wearing stockings and leggings. I thought it was just in Scotland, but it's also in London. I have seen some girls in short shorts with black stockings underneath to go out at night. They also wear a lot of make up, especially bright lip stick. I have also seen a ton of "big hair" that has been teased and bobby pinned.


5) Restaurants are all much classier than in the US. Pret a Manger, one of their biggest fast food chains, prides itself on farm fresh ingredients that has been made by the people working there. It is super healthy and they are on literally every corner. Also, if you are eating at the place you're getting your food aka "staying in," you pay a little more for them to put it on a plate rather than in a bag. If you are "taking away" the food is less expensive, but it's the exact same thing. I'm not really sure why that is, but it's an interesting difference. 

Anyway, I have to start packing for Ireland and finishing my marketing project on Heineken :) I won't be in touch while I'm in Ireland but I promise to post pictures and tell you ALL about my adventures while I'm back.

Love,

Miriam