Monday, October 18, 2010

Internship and Ice, Ice Baby

I found out the hard way that one of the most difficult tube stations to navigate is Edgeware Road, otherwise known as my stop for work. It is a maze of underground sidewalks, overpasses and twisting roads, oh my!



I was TEN minutes late for my interview. I hopped off the tube and realized that the map I was given to find my building was utterly useless, I stopped a guy trying to persuade me to "save the children" and told him to "save my interview" and show me where I should be going. I showed up with frizzy hair, sweat down my back and a big smile on my face plus the white flats that did NOT match my black stockings at all. 

Turns out, I'm working for an American company, based in London, with a supervisor that's Australian! Who knew? She was really sweet and explained to me I'd be working in the Accounts Payable section, imputing data and processing invoices. Doesn't sound too interesting, but I'll be working with 6 guys who are 22/23 and I'm hoping they'll be fun and entertaining.

I was also a little disappointed to find out that I'll be working from 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM with a 1 hour lunch break from Wednesday to Friday. That's more than 20 hours, which is all my visa allows. I don't know whether to be a bitch and say they should let me out early, or suck it up. I'm probably going to suck it up and work the hours they tell me to, with no pay, and no stipend for lunch.


Anyway, on to the more FUN news, I went to ICEBAR LONDON on Friday!! It was literally a bar made entirely out of ice. SO COOL (haha, get it? get it?). It is kept at -5 degrees Celsuis. I went with Genna aka the love of my life here in London, British Dave, Genna's friends Camille and Elsha, and Elsha's boyfriend Scott. We put on our funny capes and gloves and got 1 free drink with entry. The glasses were square, which Genna and I found odd until Dave hypothesized that square glasses would be easier to hold on to which makes complete sense. Dave - 1 Miriam/Genna - 0. 

Frozen Glasses

Going Clockwise:
Me, Dave, Scott, Elsha, Camille, and Genna

The Bar



After getting sloshed at the ICEBAR, we went next door to a place called Strawberry Moon. It had a light up dance floor and played top hits and oldies. Speaking of - you know what's strange? British people don't know the lyrics to Journey - Don't Stop Believing. They can sing a long to Grease and Michael Jackson, but not Journey! SO WEIRD.

After we got back and I was fast sleep, apparently shit went DOWN in the Real World house. Some roommates took a bunch of guys back to our flat and they ate all of our food, refused to leave, and were obnoxiously loud. I think all of our roommates are at the breaking point. We've been here for 7 weeks and the close knit bonds we once thought were airtight are now loosening up and testing everyones boundaries.

That's the problem with sticking 12 people together who don't know each other for 4 months. There will be arguments. There will be breaking points. Boundaries will get crossed. It makes for great television, but horrendous living conditions. I really hope things improve, because the last thing we need is for one roommate to disrespect another roommate. The good news is midterm break is starting on friday and we will all be traveling to the edges of Europe on our own.

Genna and I just booked our hotel for Rome and are almost done finding a hotel for Mykonos. I can't believe we'll be going! I am beyond excited!!!

Alright, I have to get back to more schoolwork. I know, schoolwork!? It sucks. I had two presentations today, and then a paper and final exam due tomorrow. Whomp.

Love,

Miriam