Monday, December 25, 2006


Month 3

I became a sleeping and eating machine plus an emotional bomb – all in once. My hormones are so active that I can manage during (just) one day, laugh, cry and get angry for absolutely no reason. It’s like being constantly premenstrual.
I read a book about pregnancy. There was a chapter where husbands were describing their feelings and experience with their pregnant wives. One of them suggested this chapter should be titled WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY WIFE. I think that’s a perfect description. Suddenly there is this barrier between you and your husband and you each feel like living in different world. You don’t understand why he wants to watch the stupid TV show instead of discussing important things, like what name we’re going to choose for your baby. On the other hand he doesn’t understand why you’re so moody and how come you came home so grumpy even though you were totally fine in the morning. Why you constantly talk about strollers, cots and baby clothes when you have still 7 months to go. Basically all YOU want is a response and cooperation (and you want it now!) and all HE wants is his ‘old’ wife back and no differences in his life.

I had my first ultrasound done. It was amazing to actually see what’s going on inside me. My husband was there with me (at least physically), he looked very pale and his heart was beating fast (he hates hospitals). But it was incredible experience for both of us. It’s a fantastic feeling, especially when you see your baby moving. Our looked like it was doing somersaults there. (And we wanted a quiet one; DOH).
My 12th week test’s results were good so thanks God I didn’t have to have amniocentesis done. I was very glad, just imagination of somebody sticking a long needle into my belly was giving me goose bumps.
My bump is really starting to show now so I suppose I should be on the look out for some cool maternity clothes. I really need some materity skirts and maternity pants for work. Does anybody know of anywhere that sells some pretty cool maternity wear?

Prenatal Tests Week 9-12:
Nuchal fold and first trimester combined screening test

- It’s a combination of blood test and ultrasound; these test give you an indication of your baby’s risk for chromosomal abnormalities, such as Down syndrome
- The blood test measure two proteins in your blood
- The screening (ultrasound) measures thickness of your baby’s neck (its nuchal fold area)
- The doctor will put that measurement into formula along with your age, baby’s gestational age and your blood test result and give you a ratio that expresses your baby’s chances for having a chromosomal defects
- If you have an abnormal result, the doctor probably recommends another test called amniocentesis and also consultation with a genetic counselor