Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Slacking On The Updates

Hello All,

I'm sorry for the lack of posting, I just keep forgetting to and because most of the time I'm not the one taking pictures it's difficult for me to remember to update everyone.

Brisbane has been a blast, but the traveller in me is itching to start moving my butt around the country. It looks as though my first stop will now be to Hong Kong! I'll be visiting my wonderful brother, Douglas, and he's going to show me all around HK and Macau while I'm there. No worries, the tsunami in Japan didn't affect HK in the slightest or Australia for that matter.

I'll be gone from April 1st to April 6th, but it doesn't really feel like I'm going there. It was never on my list of places I wanted to visit but I had to make an exception now that my mom won't be visiting and I'm homesick. Oh, and did I mention it's a pretty badass city?

Overall, University of Queensland is extremely different than AU. There are more people, first off, which makes getting to class extremely annoying. First of all, no one moves out of your way so you get whacked in the face with backpacks and second, no one knows how to walk. I'm from New York, I walk with purpose, especially if I have 5 minutes to get to class and its 10 minutes away and I'm lost.

The classrooms are also VERY different and not as nice. AU has a set style of classroom thats easy to work with. The classrooms at this uni can go from lecture halls with small seats and no room to move in and out of a row or to classrooms packed with 60 semi broken desks. It doesn't matter though because I love it here. I have to admit, it was pretty hard getting used to lectures with hundreds of people in them and having to take a public bus to campus in the morning but it's starting to feel like home. I no longer need a map in my face to figure out how to get around and I'm starting to recognize buildings.

As for the fashion - girls here like to dress up, a lot. Apparently it's because students have to wear uniforms all throughout their younger years so it's the first time girls can wear dresses to class. Most girls here like a weird fashion statement of frilly flowery dresses paired with ankle high black combat boots. Another popular style are high waisted shorts with short legs and sometimes show off a little ass cheek. Guys are less styled, clothing wise, and wear tanks that show off their tan and muscles.

Oh, have I mentioned all men here are eye candy? I went to the Gold Coast a few weeks ago and had to stop myself from drooling. They are all GORGEOUS, and if their faces aren't that attractive they make up for it with ripped, rippling muscles and sleek golden brown tans and sexy surfer hair. I have never felt so white and pasty before.

This past weekend, Rachel and I went a Farmer's Market in the West End (about a half hour walk from South Bank) and not only bought some lunch but watched a rugby game. Again, with the rippling muscles and sexy tans. Except instead of having surf boards and swimming trunks they had uniforms and a rugby ball. AND, instead of surfing waves they were jumping on each other and throwing themselves at a ball.

Did I mention I love Australia?

Anyway, I don't have much else to report. I promise I'll get on the whole "taking pictures" thing as soon as I can. This weekend we're trying to go to Steve Irwin's zoo, the Gold Coast, and a theme park!

Righteous!

Mimi