Monday, February 21, 2011

I've Found My New Home.

Hello Everyone!!!

I am SO SORRY for not posting since I've been in Australia but I didn't have internet for a week in Cairns and I'm just getting my footing now that I'm in Brisbane.

As you obviously know, I have been to many places all over the world but I am here to tell you that the most beautiful and wonderful country is Australia. My first fear of coming over here was the plane ride(s). In total, it took my 25 hours in 4 different planes and going to 5 different airports to arrive in Cairns, a city in North Queensland. The scariest flight was the 15 hour flight from LA to Sydney but as soon as we were in the air I fell asleep without taking any Ambien or Advil PM. The stress on my body from being so nervous just put me in a coma and I woke up with only 3 hours left of the flight. I watched The Social Network and the Madonna episode of Glee. I then took two short flights up to Cairns.

Cairns is a very hard place to describe. It's in the tropics so it is blaring hot partnered with extreme humidity so the option of straight hair goes out the window for every girl. The Australearn program set us up in a hostel type facility called the Bohemia Resort so I got two roommates, one from Texas and the other from Massachusetts. We bonded pretty quickly, but it was hard to meet everyone because there were about 140 people at orientation. 100 of those students were going to Griffith University on the Gold Coast, which is one of the most beautiful beach areas in all of Australia. Another 40 of us were going to University of Queensland (UQ), 37 of which were girls. Needless to say it was cliquey and quite annoying to hear every girl yelp when she talked about finding an Australian and marrying him. I mean, that's OBVIOUSLY why I came to study here, too, but I'm not going to squeal and say it out loud.

The masses of people


Sorry, I got off track. Okay, so, Cairns. When you're in a car driving down the road you have huge mountains to your left full of lush trees and rainforest and then to your right you see the Pacific Ocean thats a clear blue and warm and inviting (minus the jellyfish that cover the beaches). Seriously. The RAINFOREST is on the left and the GREAT BARRIER REEF is on the right.

Some highlights of Cairns were:

Petting a Kangaroo!

The cutest baby Koala bear

Kiwis and Passionfruit are cheap here. I have eaten a passionfruit and kiwi everyday since I got to Brisbane. SO DELICIOUS

This was probably a lowlight. Holding a water python was scary. Never again.


Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef

Huge fish that hung out near the boat. I swam with them!

Alright, I gotta run, but I'll try and post about Brisbane tomorrow. I've only been here for about 4 or 5 days but there have already been adventures and crazy moments that could only happen to yours truly.

Since I'm not in London anymore, I feel awkward saying cheers so instead I'll leave you with...

Righteous, Dude

Mimi