Thursday, December 2, 2010

10 Things I Will Miss In London

So, all of the UK has gone completely ape shit over the weather. It's snowing!! *GASP*

It's very strange to see, because there is only about a millimeter that's actually stuck to the ground. Apparently a few days ago people were stuck on a train until 1:30 in the morning because the track was iced over. I thought this country knew how to handle snow?

In other news, I've gotten quite sentimental. I have Pandora's Christmas Radio Station while attempting to complete my British Life and Culture's paper on Princess Diana. You'd think the internet would be FILLED with articles relating to her and the media, but there isn't much. It's quite difficult to concentrate on writing a paper when you haven't had to do real work all semester. Unlucky for me, I have two other papers to complete and a presentation before I can get on my flight back to JFK.

So in my attempt to procrastinate, I have compiled a list of things I will miss most about the UK and I'd like to share it with you.


1) Tesco. I am there almost every single day. The food is fresh and inexpensive and there is an array of beer, wine, and liquor that I can buy legally. What isn't there to miss?


2) Pubs. There is no such phenomenon in America and I have no idea why. Going to your "local" for a drink is a huge part of the British culture and it's something I believe the US should adopt. Bars can't compare. The Zetland Arms - I'll miss you!



3) Gormet Burger Kitchen. Anyone coming to London next semester I urge you to get a GBK Student card. Monday through Thursday your entire meal is 40% off and their burgers and milkshakes are to DIE for.



4) Hard Cider. I can't believe I didn't know about this wonderful drink a mere 3 months ago. How will I survive without it? I hope they sell it in Australia!

5) The British Accent. I know it's corny, but it's true. I feel like I'm going to come home and not be excited when people talk. Although I do miss my New Yorkers.


6) Camden Market. I went three times this semester, and I am still in love with it. It's just a huge market that you can wander around in for hours and every time you go, there's something new you haven't seen yet.



7) The Tube. I will forever miss that silly woman saying "Mind the gap between the train and the platform." The DC Metro system is far less efficient and interesting.



8) Primark. It is so much better than TJ Maxx and Filene's Basement. I know I only went once, but it's been nice to know that it's there for me just in case I need it.


9) The Taxis. They are so old fashioned and spacious and the drivers speak English and I can actually understand what they are saying.


10) Piccadilly Circus. Although my roommates go out much more than I do, I still appreciate the buzzing nightlife in Piccadilly. Sound, Tiger Tiger, Sports Cafe, On Anon.... They are much cooler than getting event requests from AU fraternities for Current EVERY SINGLE WEEK (which I still get).

Home in 17 days<3
Miriam