Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fear.

It would be an understatement to say that I have been a little neurotic since getting home from London. Christmas FLEW by, and then I saw myself toasting my friends on New Years and then I thought time had just stopped. It was the same routine everyday. Go to bed at 5 AM, wake up at 2 PM, watch Netflix. Fit two visits to DC in there and you now know everything I did over break.

What I didn't see coming was February 10th come swinging around the corner. I find myself taking my suitcase out of the basement and having to pack camis, shorts, and bikinis while looking out my window and seeing literally feet of snow covering my entire town. It just doesn't make sense. I'll be in heat and sunshine in two weeks... AND ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE PLANET.

I was watching the first season of LOST with my little, Chris, while visiting DC. In the second or third episode, Jack tells Kate a story of how he was performing surgery and he tore the patients spinal column and he froze. He just let the fear in. He counted one, two, three, four, five and then no longer let the fear control him. Although very clearly written for a television show, the monologue is now resonating with me.

When I got home I had all of these expectations. Expectations of seeing certain people, clearing up some things that I didn't fix before I left for London, and always being happy to be curled in my bed with my cat. Well, my expectations were met in certain portions of my time home, and some weren't. I was able to self analyze and see how I've changed, how my town hasn't, and now know that I've moved on. Moved on from certain friends, from high school (which is scarily already 3 years ago), and from home.

Time doesn't stop for anyone. Sometimes it feels like it goes painfully slow, and others it feels like you've blinked and days have passed. So, what should I do about this? Do I let the fear of leaving again consume me and envelop my senses so I can't sleep?

No.

I count to five. And then I pack my suitcases, say my goodbyes, and board my flights.

I probably won't have much to blog about until the day before I leave, or even after I get to Australia. Welcome week takes place in Cairns, which is a two hour flight north of Brisbane. Expect many pictures, and an awesome tan on yours truly.

<3

Miriam